Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sit

This is a poem by one of my favorite writers, Vikram Seth. Here is my review of one of his books, Two Lives.

I found it at 3quarksdaily.

The poem gives a great sense of the necessity briefly withdrawing from the cares of the world. I'm not a 26 year old with work on my mind, therefore I have plenty of time to contemplate the too opaque, distressing and profound world. Sitting and chatting with friends over a coffee is a great antidote to the depression that sets in if the world is contemplated too often. As well I am not a great wit so witty conversation often leaves me for dead.

I had to google grackles to find that they are large, aggressive, birds. See this link.


Sit
Vikram Seth

Sit, drink your coffee here; your work can wait awhile.
You're twenty-six, and still have some of life ahead.
No need for wit; just talk vacuities, and I'll
Reciprocate in kind, or laugh at you instead.


The world is too opaque, distressing and profound.
This twenty minutes' rendezvous will make my day:
To sit here in the sun, with grackles all around,
Staring with beady eyes, and you two feet away.

No comments: