Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Joyce's 90th Birthday Party

On Saturday 8th August we held a birthday party of Joyce. She turned 90 on the 12th August

Here is Joyce with her cake (another magnificent creation by Christine Kleins).



Margaret ...



... gave the following speech :


Lots of important events have occurred on 12th August:

* 1833 Chicago was founded.
* 1851 Isaac Singer granted a patent for his sewing machine.
* 1877 Thomas Edison invents the Edison Phone, a sound recording device
* 1908 First Model T Ford built.
* 1914 World War I - Britain declares war on Austria-Hungary; British Empire countries automatically included.

1919 Joyce Winnifred Saunders was born to Winnifred Josephine Saunders and William Saunders.


Mum was born the youngest of five children, with four brothers. I was told that she was naturally a bit spoilt when she was growing up, with four older brothers to look after her.

Her father, my grandfather, told me the story that when she was born, they couldn’t think of a name. He looked up and saw the joists holding up the ceiling and so decided to call her Joyce.


My dad told me a story about taking the love of his life, beautiful, shy, innocent Joyce to the picture theatre for the first time. Half way through the movie she complained to dad that the seat was a bit hard and narrow. He noticed that she hadn’t put the seat down.


Mum

Every day, I try my best to be
A mother like the mom you are to me.


Mom, without you, there would be no me.
Your love, your attention, your guidance,
have made me who I am.
You showed me the way
to serve, to accomplish, to persevere.
Without you, there would be an empty space
I could never fill, no matter how I tried.
Thank you, mom.
I have always loved you
and I always will.

Happy 90th Birthday



After which, John proposed a toast.

Forty-three people attended the party.

They included four of her children ...



... some nieces and nephews ...



... some grandchildren and great-grandchildren ...























... and some friends (of Joyce's children or grand-children)








.. finally, some fun and games ...



___________________________________________________________

As always click on each image to see it enlarged at Picassa Web Albums. Note that each person has been labelled (at Picassa).

Here is a slide show of images from the party :

1 comment:

benilhalk said...

Glad to know about the birthday party. Many of my friends are thinking to have a Dj party after exams. Looking for one of the pocket friendly party venue for dinner and dance time. Cup cakes and cookies with drinks will all be done online at discounted prices. Excited for the day. Hoping to have a frolic event.